Editor’s note: Call destinations before you visit to make sure they’re open. Stay posted on what Oregon’s phased reopening means for you, and follow these steps for social distancing outdoors. Here’s what to know about Oregon’s outdoors right now.
Oregon’s tallest peak is not just a beacon for skiers and snowboarders — it’s a hot spot for mountain bikers too. From the classic Sandy Ridge Trail System near Portland to Surveyors Ridge on the eastern slopes and all the singletrack in between, Mt. Hood offers the ultimate dirt-surfing escape. Here are the don’t-miss spots.
Difficulty: Mild to challenging
New in 2019, the Timberline Bike Park is a lift-assisted system featuring trails designed specifically for mountain bikes. The park has 10 miles of trails flowing down the mountain, with more to come.
Distance: 9 miles
The famed Sandy Ridge Trail System boasts banked berms, challenging natural rock features and big-air jumps — and thus loop, best for experienced riders, offers a taste of it all.
Distance: 15 miles
Take an exhilarating journey through history on shuttle-assisted Timberline to Town Trail, riding past the historic lodge and former pioneer roads while twisting and gliding among the trees.
Keep on riding
There are more exciting mountain bike trails to be found down the mountain the Hood River Valley. When you’re ready for two more trails, set your compass to Knebal Springs and Post Canyon.
Distance: 9 miles
Knebal Springs Loop is a classic singletrack ride that is relatively non-technical with fun descents and a challenging climb through forests and meadows.
Where to gear up
- Mountain View Cycles: 205 Oak St, Hood River, OR 97031
- Northwest Excursions (guided rides): Hood River, OR 97031
- Fat Tire Farm – Hood River Bicycles: 208 4th St, Hood River, OR 97031
- Timberline Bike Park: 27500 E Timberline Road, Government Camp, OR 97028
- Mt. Hood Outfitters: 88220 E Government Camp Loop Road, Government Camp, OR 97028
- Mt. Hood Bicycle: 68220 US-26, Welches, OR 97067
- Otto’s Ski & Mtn. Bike: 38716 Pioneer Blvd Sandy, OR 97055