Jackman Park Campground is located on the flanks of Steens Mountain, within the Steens Mountain Cooperative Management and Protective Area (CMPA). This area encompasses an extraordinary landscape with deep glacier carved-gorges, stunning scenery, wilderness, wild rivers, a rich diversity of plant and animal species, and a way of life for all who live there. At 7,800-foot elevation and set among aspen stands, Jackson Park Campground offers some of the best fall color viewing on Steens Mountain.
Know Before You Go:
- Open Season Jackman Park Campground is open mid-June through October.
- High clearance vehicles recommended on some portions of the Steens Mountain Loop.
- 6 Campsites with picnic tables and fire grates; first come, first serve.
- Universal Access Restroom available.
- Please pack out your trash.
- Mountain weather can be unpredictable and change suddenly.
- Ticks, mosquitos, and rattlesnakes may be present during summer months.
- The nearest services are in the communities of Fields, Frenchglen, Crane, or Narrows, Oregon.
Point of Interest:
The Jackman Park Campground is located near the Kiger Gorge Overlook with views of the Gorge’s glacially-carved, U-shaped valley and, if you are lucky, it’s famous herd of wild horses.