I actually grew up in South Dakota so I definitely want you to have an amazing time. And I am absolutely sure you will!
Highway 101 down the Coast is an amazing drive. I’d highly, highly recommend this over taking I-5 South. There are tide pools, the Goonies House, crabbing, local surf spots, delicious seafood shacks, more tide pools, rocky beaches and caves… ahh. You should definitely check out the coast. It’s unlike the sandy beaches of California and is a lot more “wild.”
My favorite coastal spots are:
- Astoria, OR
- Fort Stevens State Park has a really awesome old shipwreck on the beach and a great campground.
- Cannon Beach
- Haystack Rock is a must-see.
- Oswald West State Park aka Short Sands Beach
- If you want to try your hand at surfing, this is the local favorite.
- Tour the Tillamook Cheese Factory and taste some amazing ice cream.
- Visit Seal Rock, the Historic Bayfront District and Nye Beach.
- You’ll want to check out the South Jetty, Honeyman State Park and the Oregon Dunes National Recreation area
If you’re heading toward Portland, I recommend:
- Angels Rest hike
- Eagle Creek hike
- Anything in Hood River
- Larch Mountain hike
- Tom, Dick and Harry Mountain hike
- Forrest Park via Wildwood Trail
- Mt. Tabor Park
- Stumptown coffee
- Blue Star Doughnuts
- Por Que No?! Taqueria