If you have a rental car, everything you’ll want to do will be easy! There are a ton of great, kid and adult friendly hikes around the area that I’m sure you’ll love.
If you’re looking for vistas and mountain views:
- Tom Dick and Harry Mountain via Mirror Lake
- Angels Rest
- Zig Zag Mountain via Burnt Lake
- McNeil Point
- Bald Mountain via Top Spur Trailhead
If you’re looking for forested tree tunnels and waterfalls:
- Multnomah Falls (a must-see)
- Wahkeenah Falls Loop hike
- Devils Rest
- Salmonberry River Trail
- Ramona Falls
- Latourell Falls
- …basically all of the waterfalls along the Columbia River Scenic Highway
If you’re looking for places to ski:
- Mt. Hood Meadows
- Timberline (at Mt. Hood)
- Mt. Bachelor (right outside of Bend, about three hours away)
There’s also dog-sledding at Mt. Bachelor! It could make a good day/overnight trip to ski at Mt. Bachelor and then do a dog-sled tour in the backcountry.
My favorite hikes if you head towards Bend:
- Tumalo Falls
- Misery Ridge
Also, would you like to soak in some natural hot springs?
- Near Mt. Hood – Bagby Hot Springs
- Near Bend – Umpqua Hot Springs
If you need any rentals or gear for any of the adventures you’ll go on, I’d highly, highly recommend stopping into the Mountain Shop in Portland. They’re the oldest (and greatest, in my opinion) gear shop in the country.
Have the best time in Oregon!