Sometimes a shared meal can become a magical only-in-Oregon moment.
That’s the feeling guests may have this summer at Field & Vine’s dinners, which happen now through December at vineyards and farms in the Greater Portland and Willamette Valley regions.
For those hoping to get closer to the source of their food, these six- to seven-course farm-to-table dinners will connect guests with local growers and producers. Diners take a tour of the grounds and gather around communal tables to hear stories from the host about what’s on their plate and in their glass. Each meal highlights seasonal ingredients — from the host as well as nearby farms and ranches. And in celebration of the land, dishes pair with local wine, beer and spirits.
“Local farms, vineyards and ranches are the heart of this area,” says Pascal Chureau, chef and owner of Field & Vine Events, as well as Allium Bistro in West Linn. “They are the reason we all are passionate about the food we cook, the food we eat and the food we experience.”
Chureau launched the series six years ago and adds more dinners each year. This year it’s up to 35 events spanning all four seasons. That’s been important, he says, to connect locals and visitors with all of Oregon’s year-round bounty, not just its summertime peak.
This season’s events immerse diners in quite different experiences. Some wineries turn their vineyards into dining rooms with warmly lit tents. Other events see barns and barrel rooms become venues.
Since its inception, Dinners in the Field has partnered with local organizations to give back to the community. Every year Field & Vine partners with the Oregon Farm Loop, with a portion of proceeds donated to the nonprofit to support its public educational activities.
The Field & Vine all-inclusive dinners are $85 to $90 per person and happen rain or shine. Shelters at each event keep guests out of the elements. For tickets and details, visit Field & Vine. Here is the 2018 schedule:
- May 12, Barn Kestrel with Owen Roe (20050 SW Johnson Rd, West Linn)
- May 26, Penner Ash Wine Cellars (71 NE Ribbon Ridge Rd, Newberg)
- June 2, Gran Moraine Winery with Pitch Dark Chocolate (17090 NE Woodland Loop Rd, Yamhill)
- June 9, Wooden Shoe Tulip Farm with Indio Spirits (33814 S. Meridian Rd, Woodburn)
- June 16, King’s Raven Winery with Marion Acres (11603 S New Era Rd, Oregon City)
- June 22, Hunter Creek Horse Show with Portland Cider Company and Twill Cellars (14441 SW Wilsonville Rd, Wilsonville)
- June 23, Beacon Hill Winery with Vibrant Greens (22040 NE Ridge Rd, Gaston)
- June 30, Tualatin Estates Vineyard with Pitch Dark Chocolate (10850 NW Seavey Rd, Forest Grove)
- June 30, Fir Point Farms with Trail Distilling and Forest Edge Vineyards (14601 Arndt Rd, Aurora)
- July 7, Terra Vina Wines with TMK Creamery (33750 SW Ladd Hill Rd, Wilsonville)
- July 14, Lange Estate Winery with Santos Family Farm (18380 NE Buena Vista Dr, Dundee)
- July 21, Alexeli Vineyards and Winery with Portland Creamery (35803 S. Highway 213, Molalla)
- July 28, Pete’s Mountain Vineyard with Tranquil Farms (28101 SW Pete’s Mountain Rd, West Linn)
- August 4, Methven Family Wines with Briar Rose Creamery (11400 SE Westland Ln, Dayton)
- August 11, Alloro Vineyard with Santos Family Farm (22075 SW Lebeau Rd, Sherwood)
- August 11, Beckham Estate Vineyard (30790 SW Heater Rd, Sherwood)
- August 18, Christopher Bridge Wines with Briar Rose Creamery (12770 S Casto Rd, Oregon City)
- August 25, Elk Cove Vineyards (27751 NW Olson Rd, Gaston)
- August 26, Ponzi Vineyards (19500 SW Mountain Home Rd, Sherwood)
- September 1, Fiala Farms with Cristom Vineyards (21231 SW Johnson Rd, 97068 West Linn)
- September 9, Alpacas at Marquam Hill Ranch with Campbell Lane Winery (35835 Oregon 213, Molalla)
- September 15, Lee Farms with Solena Estate and Coin Toss Brewery (21975 SW 65th Ave, Tualatin)
- September 16, Rare Plant Research with Tranquil Farms (11900 S Criteser Rd, Oregon City)
- September 22, Domaine Serene with Dundee Hill Food Forest (6555 N.E. Hilltop Lane, Dayton)
- September 29, Douglas Farm with Owen Roe and Pitch Dark Chocolate (15330 NW Sauvie Island Rd., Sauvie Island)
- October 6, St. Josef’s Estate Vineyards with Marion Acres (28836 S. Barlow Rd, Canby)
- October 13, Willamette Valley Vineyards (8800 Enchanted Way SE, Turner)
- October 20, Cornell Farm with Stoller Family Estate and House Spirits (8212 SW Barnes Rd, Portland)
- October 27, Rosse Posse Elk Farm with Erath Winery (32690 S. Mathias Rd, Molalla)
- November 3, WillaKenzie Estate (19143 NE Laughlin Rd, Yamhill)
- November 10, Eola Hills Wine Cellars (501 S Pacific Hwy, 99W, Rickreall)
- November 17, Tumwater Vineyards (375 SW Barrel House Way, West Linn)
- November 24, Portland Cider Company with Maysara Winery and Goldin Artisan Cheese (8925 SE Jannsen Rd, Clackamas)