Sometimes a shared meal can become a magical only-in-Oregon moment.
That’s the feeling guests may have this summer at Field & Vine’s remaining dinners, which happen now through December at vineyards and farms in the Greater Portland and Willamette Valley regions.
For those hoping to get closer to the source of their food, these six- to seven-course farm-to-table dinners will connect guests with local growers and producers. Diners take a tour of the grounds and gather around communal tables to hear stories from the host about what’s on their plate and in their glass. Each meal highlights seasonal ingredients — from the host as well as nearby farms and ranches. And in celebration of the land, dishes pair with local wine, beer and spirits.
“Local farms, vineyards and ranches are the heart of this area,” says Pascal Chureau, chef and owner of Field & Vine Events, as well as Allium Bistro in West Linn. “They are the reason we all are passionate about the food we cook, the food we eat and the food we experience.”
Chureau launched the series four years ago and adds more dinners each year. This year it’s up to 25 events spanning all four seasons. That’s been important, he says, to connect locals and visitors with all of Oregon’s year-round bounty, not just its summertime peak.
This season’s remaining events immerse diners in quite different experiences. Some wineries turn their vineyards into dining rooms with warmly lit tents. Other events see barns and barrel rooms become venues.
An urban farm dinner in Portland will be a partnership with the nonprofit Farmers Ending Hunger. Three farms, four wineries and a live band will descend on a hip Central Eastside event space. A portion of proceeds will go to that Portland-based organization, which incentivizes farmers to grow extra plots of food to feed the needy.
The Field & Vine all-inclusive dinners are $85 to $90 per person and happen rain or shine. Shelters at each event keep guests out of the elements. For tickets and details, visit Field & Vine. While the 2018 schedule is slated to be released in January, here is the 2017 lineup to keep you hungry:
- May 6, Stoller Family Estate, 16161 NE McDougall Road, Dayton
- May 7, Barn Kestrel with Owen Roe Wines, 20050 SW Johnson Road, West Linn
- May 20, Eola Hills Wine Cellars, 501 S Pacific Hwy W, Rickreall
- May 27, Gran Moraine Winery, 17090 NE Woodland Loop Road, Yamhill
- June 3, Wooden Shoe Tulip Farm with Indio Spirits, 33814 S Meridian Road, Woodburn
- June 10, Beacon Hill Estate Winery with Pitch Dark Chocolate and Chef Paul Bechard, 22070 NE Ridge Road, Gaston
- June 17, King’s Raven Winery with Tranquil Farms and Pitch Dark Chocolate, 11603 S New Era Road, Oregon City
- June 23, Hunter Creek Equestrian Park with Methven Family Vineyards, 4441 SW Wilsonville Road, Wilsonville
- June 24, Pete’s Mountain Vineyard & Winery with Goldin Artisan Creamery, 28101 SW Petes Mountain Rd, West Linn
- June 25, Summer Solstice Sock Burning Bonfire Dinner at King’s Raven Winery, 11603 S New Era Road, Oregon City
- July 1, Alpacas at Marquam Hill Ranch with AlexEli Vineyards & Winery, 35835 OR-213, Molalla
- July 8, Lange Estate Winery & Vineyards with Portland Creamery, 18830 NE Buena Vista Drive
- July 15, EZ Orchards and Cristom Vineyards, 5504 Hazelgreen Road NE, Salem
- July 15, Ponzi Vineyards with Our Table Cooperative, 19500 SW Mountain Home Rd, Sherwood
- July 22, Christopher Bridge Wines with Tranquil Farms, 12770 S Casto Road, Oregon City
- July 29, Lee Farms with Erath Winery and House Spirits, 21975 SW 65th Avenue, Tualatin
- August 6, Rare Plant Research & Villa Catalana Cellars with Portland Cider Company, 11900 S Criteser Road, Oregon City
- August 12, Beckham Estate Vineyard with Portland Creamery, 30790 SW Heater Road, Sherwood
- August 26, Domaine Serene with Dundee Hills Food Forest, 6555 NE Hilltop Lane, Dayton
- September 2, Fir Point Farms with Forest Edge Vineyard, 14601 Arndt Road, Aurora
- September 9, Fiala Farms with Solena Estate, 21231 Johnson Road, West Linn
- September 16, Terra Vina Wines with Goldin Artisan Creamery, 33750 SW Ladd Hill Road, Wilsonville
- September 23, Douglas Farm with Owen Roe Wines, 15330 NW Sauvie Island Drive, Sauvie Island
- September 30, Penner-Ash Wine Cellars with Briar Rose Creamery, 71 NE Ribbon Ridge Road, Newberg
- October 7, St. Josef’s Estate Vineyards & Winery with Portland Cider Company, 28836 S Barlow Road, Canby
- October 14, Cornell Farms with Stoller Family Estate, 8212 SW Barnes Road, Portland
- October 21, Fairsing Vineyard with Santos Family Farm and Briar Rose Creamery, 1455 NE Burkett Hill Road, Yamhill
- October 28, Eola Hills Winery & Vineyards, 1600 Oak Road NW, Salem
- November 4, Tumwater Vineyards with Tranquill Farms, 375 SW Barrel House Way, West Linn
- November 11, Rosse Posse Elk Farm with Twill Cellars, 32690 S Mathias Road, Molalla