We have three kids 5 and under. We want to go on a vacation and check out Oregon, but don’t know where to go? We would love some good ideas. We don’t mind camping, and we like doing things outdoors, but the kids might only last hiking for a couple of days and then be wiped out. – Sharp Family
Wow… you won’t believe the list of family friendly recommendations in the Willamette Valley. Here are some places to check out:
- For camping I would suggest renting a yurt in one of Oregon’s beautiful parks. It’s camping without all of the work!
- In Turner, the Enchanted Forest is super cheesy but also super fun if you know ahead of time that this ain’t Disney.
- In Independance they have the Wings of Wonder butterfly exhibit.
- Evergreen Aviation Museum is fun and the Wings and Waves Waterpark is like nothing else!
- In Salem there is the A.C. Gilbert’s Discovery House -Children’s Museum.
- Silver Falls is pretty to hike.
- Splash! Lively Swim Park in Springfield has a wave pool, water slide and lots of other cool things. There is also a roller rink in Springfield and Cascades Raptor Center is in Eugene.
- Fir Point Farms has Goats that climb into trees to eat! Where else are you going to see that!
Have something to add What’s Your Answer?
Share your thoughts Answers From Other People
Your comment will be the first one for this story. Some might think of this as a lot of pressure, but as a trail blazer you recognize that someone has to be first. Your fellow travelers appreciate your opinion, so thanks in advance!
Other questions about Willamette Valley
- We love cycling, although more road cycling than mountain biking, and I’m not too great on hills! Are there any particularly good (and relatively flat) cycle routes you could suggest? -Gill
- We plan to be in the Willamette Valley for 2 days. Please suggest a town where we can say that would be convenient for touring the vineyards and sampling some good food without being too touristy.
- What are the public transportation options in the mid-Willamette Valley?
About Ask Oregon Expert Debbie Lusk
Debbie Lusk loves Oregon and everything there is to experience here. She may be found on the back of a black mare riding through wine country with saddle bags full of Oregon wine, or enjoying a cold beer at a local Willamette Valley microbrewery. She's smitten with Oregon and plans to enjoy it all one bite at a time! All her experiences can be found on her blog, Sweet Bliss.