Vote Springfield, Oregon for the Simpsons’ Premier
We’re joining Oregon Governor Kulongoski in encouraging all Oregonians (and Oregon fans) to vote online (by July 9) for Springfield, Oregon as the place that should host the movie premier of the “Simpsons”.
While 14 other Springfields are vying for this honor in the contest hosted by USA Today.com, we respectfully feel that Springfield, Oregon is the legitimate home of Homer, Marge, Bart and the rest of the crew. D’oh! Consider:
– Matt Groening grew up in Portland (just an hour and half north of Springfield).
– We also think it’s no coincidence that many Simpsons’ characters share the name of Oregon streets and landmarks…here are few:
1) Northwest Flanders Street in Portland was the inspiration for “Ned Flanders”;
2) Northwest Kearney Street inspired the name of “Kearney,” one of the schoolyard bullies who torments Bart;
3) North Van Houten Avenue inspired “Milhouse Van Houten,” Bart’s best friend
4) Diamond Joe Quimby, Springfield’s mayor is named after Northwest Quimby Street
So hurry…vote for Springfield, Oregon today…there are just 2 days left! ~ Mo
about author Mo Sherifdeen
Mo is Travel Oregon's content publisher and loves to hike the forests and mountain trails of Oregon with his wife, daughter and dog. He is also known for getting lost inside a maze of books at Powell’s, sipping an IPA (or two) and seeking the best fish 'n chips along the Oregon Coast.
Is any of the information on this page incorrect?