We are travelling along I-84 from Pendleton, Oregon to Salt Lake City, Utah. Are there any State Parks that are close to (or along) that stretch of I-84? –Zig
Between Pendleton and the Oregon-Idaho border, there are 4 state parks close to I-84.
Heading west to east, they are:
- Emigrant Springs State Heritage Area-just off the highway 25 miles past Pendleton, [only camping fees listed]
- Blue Mountain Forest State Scenic Corridor-just off the highway past Meacham, free
- Farewell Bend State Recreation Area-1 miles north of I-84, between Baker City & Ontario, $5 day use fee
- Ontario State Recreation Site-1 mile north of Ontario, free
You might also consider stopping near Baker City at the National Historic Oregon Trail Interpretive Center open 9-4 daily until December.
Have something to add What’s Your Answer?
Share your thoughts Answers From Other People
Your comment will be the first one for this story. Some might think of this as a lot of pressure, but as a trail blazer you recognize that someone has to be first. Your fellow travelers appreciate your opinion, so thanks in advance!
Other questions about Eastern Oregon
- What are the scenic backroads in Southeastern Oregon?
- Hi we are planning a trip to Mount St Helens in July. We are coming in from Calgary with two tough girls aged 9 and 11. We will be very close to Oregon, and was wondering what fun things are there to do in Oregon? We had fun last year on the Hiawatha Trail in Idaho. I heard there were volcanoes near the coast? What fun ideas are there for a family visiting Oregon? – Jason W.
- I will be traveling from Portland to Baker City and want to take 2 days for the trip. I love art/sculpture, local crafts, scenery and small towns. Can you suggest a good overnight point for my first night?
About Ask Oregon Expert Lynne Curry
I'm a city lover, but I moved to one of the most remote places in Oregon to live at the edge of the wilderness in a community of ranchers, artists, and independent types like me. Since I'm a food writer, I blog about eating and the rural lifestyle. My biggest project to date is the cookbook, Pure Beef: An Essential Guide to Artisan Meat with Recipes for Every Cut(Running Press, 2012).