I am getting married in late May, and would like to find an Oregon Coast beach that is a little more private than the average state park, as well as offers a little protection from the gusty coastal winds.
A lot of people get married at the Pelican Pub & Brewery in Pacific City, because the pub has a special room that opens into their own “beach” adjacent to Cape Kiwanda State Park. It’s not secluded, but it does have great food and an easy place to duck into, in case the weather is terrible. And very good beer.
Outside of that, I would suggest:
- Oceanside — a small village, with a nice restaurant called Roseanna’s nearby. A few small hotels and vacation rentals nearby. There is a small oceanview community clubhouse there.
- Short Beach — This is a small, secluded beach with a lot of stairs, but it’s very scenic. My story about it here , and here’s the website by the man who created the groovy stairs.
- Tierra del Mar — This spot just north of Pacific City is not tightly protected, but it is in the lee of Cape Kiwanda, so it can be less windy (sometimes). What it does have is easy access. Unlike Short Beach, with lots of stairs, at Tierra del Mar you can drive right onto the beach, and even if you park on the highway it’s an easy, low beach access.
Officially, you are supposed to have a permit. If you want one, contact the Oregon Department of Parks and Recreation at 800-551-6949 or 541-265-8179 for permits.
Have something to add What’s Your Answer?
Share your thoughts Answers From Other People
Your comment will be the first one for this story. Some might think of this as a lot of pressure, but as a trail blazer you recognize that someone has to be first. Your fellow travelers appreciate your opinion, so thanks in advance!
Other questions about Coast
- We’re interested in renting a home on or near the beach in Oregon for a few weeks this summer. We have kids ages 5, 6, and 12 and are looking for a sandy beach, relaxed quiet community with great fishing, biking and playgrounds. What areas do you suggest? – Lauri
- I’m looking for history or information about Thor’s well?
- Are there tour destinations from Portland to Astoria?
About Ask Oregon Expert Niki Price
Niki Price is the editor and co-owner of Oregon Coast Today, a weekly newspaper covering arts, entertainment and the environment on the central Oregon coast. She roams the shores of the Oregon coast, covering everything from pelican proliferation to proffered profiteroles, with two underage editorial assistants often in tow.